Monday, March 24, 2008

Love: Friendship

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. "

I really enjoyed Lewis' views on friendship. I like this quote above a lot. It speaks to how unnatural friendship it. We really do not need to have friends but God gave us the gift of friendship. It’s interesting to think of Jesus without his friends. He definitely did not need friends, seeing that he is God, but he used fellowship with others to spread his word. Jesus' friends must have made his life more enjoyable. He didn’t need their help, but with them he encouraged the fellowship between believers which gives our lives value.
I also liked the part in the friendship chapter when Lewis talks about bringing out the best in your friends and your friends bringing out the best in you.

“In each of my friends there is something that only some other friend can fully bring out.” I like that friendship has that dynamic. I Love friendship and I love that God gave us that gift…and it is a gift, so treasure it.

thend.



No comments: